One of the Godfather’s of landing page and conversion rate optimization, Tim Ash, CEO or SiteTuners, kicked off the afternoon sessions at Startup Marketing Conference. He felt obligated to start at the bottom (of the brain), as it affects how we design successful LPO/CRO campaigns.
For starters, your reptilian brain is…
- It likes simple choices
- It has no patience
- It’s automatic
And we as human animals survive by following the four F’s:
- Fight (within seconds of meeting people, we figure out how we would kill them)
- Feed (we need to eat to stay alive)
Then Ash touched on how your brain actually works*:
- Is it dangerous? -> Deal with it or, if yes…
- Is it novel? -> Ignore it, or, if yes…
- Consciously explore it.
*95 percent of our actions are pre-conscious.
Then Ash revealed The New Sales Funnel:
- The Brain Stem
- Limbic System
The goal is to make sure consumers have a small number of clear choices. He adds a caveat in regards to The Long Tail, where more choices are better, but only for specific situations (like looking for music, a book or movie). It doesn’t work when making business decisions (whether it be a pen or marketing automation platform). Here are a few LPO/CRO strategies:
- Remove similar choices (they are distracting) and...