As summer draws to an end and Back to School season hits high gear, now is the best time to prepare for the upcoming holiday season! You can follow these tips and tricks for making the most of the holiday season.
There are a few characteristics which have come to define the holiday marketing season in recent years:
- It’s increasingly spread out because of online shopping and online advertising
- There is a flurry of last-minute sales and campaigns
- Mobile is becoming much more important
In this landscape, multi-channel online marketing continues to become more essential to effectively reach your customers. To ensure your email marketing, social channels and website are all optimized for the holidays:
- Have a mobile-friendly email design optimized for easy reading
- Make sure to include large call-to-action buttons in your emails
- Make necessary mobile improvements to your website so it is ready for on-the-go browsing
- In addition to your holiday email campaigns, have email templates ready for:
- Any last minute promotions or sends
- Any customer service issues which come up
- A “we are sorry” email for shipping delays or any other issues
- Before the holiday season begins, make sure to clean your email lists. Also develop a plan for how you would handle getting your mail server blacklisted
Once your various channels are ready to go, plan the campaigns you want to run through the New Year. Below are the major holiday periods along with recommendations for standing out from your competitors.
- Make sure to capitalize on pre-Black Friday sales. Start early on your pre-Black Friday campaigns.
- Black Friday and Cyber Monday are the biggest days during this time frame. Don't wait to promote Black Friday until the same week
- Capitalize on Amex Small Business Saturday (Saturday after Thanksgiving) if you are a small business
- Mobile is especially important during this time. Make sure your email is responsive and that you have a strong landing page experience
- Tailor the message of campaigns to “gifts you didn’t receive” along with redeeming gift cards
After New Year's
- Focus on New Year’s resolutions, staying active and healthy.
This should help you develop a successful online retail presence throughout the holiday season. Have fun with your marketing over the next four months!