Web design has changed exponentially since the advent of web 2.0 in the early 2000’s. What used to be static-only websites have now been replaced with dynamic ones that incorporate many design features including widgets, social plugins and much more. Here are 12 tips to keep in mind when building or rebuilding your website.
1. Show value- give people a reason to visit your site and keep them there.
2. What does your website do? Are you informative, are you selling something? Include a call of action and let it be seen on the site!
3. Simplicity- Keep it simple while still getting your point across.
4. Myspace is out! That means no blinking text or magic cursors!
5. Popups- Do I really have to explain this?
6. Keep the home page accessible. I’ve been to many sites where once I click a link on the navigation bar, I cannot get back to the home page- so frustrating!
7. Follow in Apple’s shoes and drop Adobe Flash- it’s processor heavy and there’s no place to embed SEO.
8. I KNOW THIS MAY SOUND DUMB BUT DON’T CAPITALIZE ALL OF YOUR CONTENT.
9. Speaking of words and content, check your grammar and spelling please!
10. Use keywords and descriptive text that relates to your business. However, don’t over-embed keywords in your content- keep it natural.
11. Be accessible, yes add a Contact page and put an email, phone number, something!
12. Navigation is key! Keep a global navigation bar that allows accessibility to all of your pages.
I know the post reads "12 Tips" but I'm throwing in a BONUS, yay!
13. Social media integration- the key to the popularity and national/global success of your website and business.
How can you be a part of the fun festivities of the 12 Days of Christmas, you ask? By Liking us on Facebook or Following us on Twitter, if you don't already. (You don’t want to be on that naughty list, do you?)
and follow me on Twitter, too! @amykauffman