With the release of the new iPad in March and increased Wi-Fi availability, the tablet adoption continues to grow. In fact, Forrester Research predicts that by 2016, there will be 760 million tablets in use!
Consumers are utilizing tablets to stay connected on-the-go for both personal and business uses, and they are quickly becoming the screen of choice to view media content. Tablets are an effective platform for marketers to reach new audiences, but they create challenges and changes to the way content is developed, presented and watched.
Here are a few tips to maximize your messaging and audience engagement:
- Increase Frequency – Since tablets allow users to stay connected 24/7, it’s important to consistently and frequently distribute information. Although you may have great content, if it takes too long to develop and there is too much of a lapse in sharing information, your audience will tune out.
- Fresh Content - In conjunction with regular content postings, it is essential to share relevant and current content. Viewers are digesting information quicker and more often than ever, so try to correlate your messaging with up-to-date news and trends. Otherwise, you might become old news.
- Simplicity – While many tablet devices offer users a rich viewing experience, you don’t want to overload them with content or graphics. Consider the tablet screen size, and don’t overload the slides or video presented. The audience may have difficulty processing the message you are trying to relay.
- Short and Sweet – Much of Twitter’s success can be attributed to its 140-character messaging platform, and this idea should be taken into account when it comes to streaming media as well. It’s better to post shorter, more impactful content, more frequently, than to share a 10 minute video that won’t hold attention spans. Keep videos under two minutes for increased audience viewing.
- Live and On-Demand Options – Along with highlighting key components of your streaming media content, it’s just as important to offer tablet users viewing options. If you host a live streaming event, provide audience members that were unable to attend with an on-demand option. As I mentioned before, tablets allow mobile users to connect at any time, from any location, so you will enhance and increase your audience reach if you offer more than one viewing choice.
As companies make tablets and their content easier to use, streaming media on these devices will become even more mainstream. This translates very well for businesses because the more access users have to a product, service or piece of content, the more they will use, buy or support what is presented. I never see someone without their smartphone or tablet device handy, so streaming media to these devices only creates increased opportunities for interactions and engagement.