This week digital business leaders gathered for the New York City Digital Collective. Presenters and hosts included VPs and directors from PepsiCo, Mercedes-Benz, Macy's, American Express, Google, Estee Lauder, Showtime, GE, Hasbro, AB InBev, The Gilt Group, and more, as well as advertising's Donny Deutsch. (Watch for upcoming interviews with these digital leaders, as well as BMW, Bloomberg, and others!)
The hosts closed the day with a recap of the biggest issues the group shared they will be facing in 2012. Here are ten of the challenges they voiced.
10 challenges digital marketers will face in 2012:
1. How do we "talk digital" with the C-Suite? How do we help them have a better user understanding of today's platforms, devices and services?
2. How do we find the right talent?
3. How are we keeping open communication between digital teams and business teams?
4. What do we do when guidelines and restrictions are slowing down processes? (How do we build trust?)
5. How do we go from innovation to experimentation?
6. How do we make sure advice from both inside and outside the organization is equally weighted?
7. How do we counter an organization's cultural fear of innovation?
8. How can we develop better dashboards, so we can see real-time innovation progress?
9. How do we best manage project ownership?
10. How do we continue to put consumers ahead of the brand when planning content and campaigns?
These would be great questions to workshop with your own team. Feel free to include your advice and insights below.
Good luck in your planning for 2012! It's going to be a great year.